Let's Get to Know the Middlesex & Worcester District!
Acton was established as an independent town on July 3, 1735. Acton has held annual town meetings since 1735, the records of which are held at Acton's Memorial Library, shown below. Margaret is a 10 year resident of Acton.
Ayer was incorporated in 1871 and named in honor of Dr. James Cook Ayer, a prominent resident of Lowell who provided the funding for the construction of Town Hall (1873-76). Margaret is pictured in front of the Ayer District Court, which serves Ashby, Ayer, Boxborough, Dunstable, Groton, Littleton, Pepperell, Shirley, Townsend, Westford, and Devens Regional Enterprise Zone.
In the early 19th century Boxborough was known as largest hop-growing town in New England. Boxborough remained a largely farming community until suburbanization after WWII. There are still many working farms in town, two of which are protected from development by the town bylaws.
Harvard is home to the Fruitlands, an agrarian commune based on transcendentalist principals set up by Amos Bronson Alcott, father of author Louisa May Alcott.
Founded in 1866, Hudson used to be a neighborhood of Marlborough known as "Feltonville." It was also known as a "shoe town" due to its 17 shoe factories powered mainly by the Assabet River. Hudson is now primarily residential, enjoying a vibrant downtown with new restaurants and businesses.
The town of Littleton, Massachusetts was first settled in 1686 and was officially incorporated by the Massachusetts General Court in 1714. Littleton has a rich history as a farming community. It was known for its apple orchards, food and dairy farms. Many of those same farms are still in operation today.
Marlborough was established in 1660, and later became a city in 1890. As population, business and travel grew in the colonies, Marlborough became a favorite stop on the Boston Post Road. Many travelers frequented inns and taverns including President George Washington, who visited the Williams Tavern in 1789.
In 1836, Samuel Boyd, known as the “father of the city” opened the city’s first shoe manufacturing business. By 1890 Marlborough was a major shoe manufacturing center, producing footwear for Union soldiers and local citizens, and continued that way into the 1970’s with the founding of Frye Boot Company and The Rockport Company. Manufacturing gave way to high technology and other specialized industries with the construction of major transportation routes, allowing easy access from all over New England.
Maynard is located on the Assabet River, a tributary of the Concord River. A large part of the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge is located within the town. Historic downtown Maynard is home to many shops, restaurants, galleries, a movie theater and the former Assabet Woolen Mill which produced wool fabrics from 1846 to 1950, including Union uniforms during the Civil War. Owners of the former mill complex currently lease space to office and light industry businesses and restaurants.
On January 24, 1766, the district of Northborough was established within neighboring Westborough. On August 23, 1775, the district became a town, and on June 20, 1807 part of neighboring Marlborough was annexed to Northborough. The district includes precinct 3 only.
In 1753 it separated from Groton and was incorporated, named in honor of William Shirley, governor of Massachusetts (1741–1757). Pictured is Shirley's Old Town Hall.
First settled in 1660, land use now is primarily residential, with substantial open space. A tenth of the town's area is flooded by the Sudbury Reservoir. Light industrial land use is concentrated along main roads, primarily Massachusetts Route 9, and there are several small business districts in the villages and along Route 9.
On October 28, 1774, Henry Gardner, a Stow resident, was elected Receiver-General of the Massachusetts Provincial Congress, the government of Massachusetts during the American Revolution. After the war, Gardner served as State Treasurer. Gardner's grandson, also Henry Gardner, was the governor of Massachusetts from 1855 to 1857.
The town was incorporated in 1639. At that time, the boundaries of Sudbury included (by 1653) all what is now of Wayland (which split off in 1780), and parts of Framingham, Marlborough, Stow and Maynard (Maynard split off 1871). The district includes only precincts 2 and 3.
On November 18, 1717, Westborough was incorporated as the hundredth town in Massachusetts, populated by twenty-seven families, including Thomas Rice who had represented Marlborough in the Great and General Court. Soon large farms were carved out, mills built along the Assabet River and Jackstraw Brook, and taverns flourished.